Re: Add fchmodat2() - or add a more general syscall?

On 2023-07-25, David Howells <dhowells@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rather than adding a fchmodat2() syscall, should we add a "set_file_attrs()"
syscall that takes a mask and allows you to set a bunch of stuff all in one
go?  Basically, an interface to notify_change() in the kernel that would allow
several stats to be set atomically.  This might be of particular interest to
network filesystems.

Presumably looking something like statx(2) (except hopefully with
extensible structs this time :P)? I think that could also be useful, but
given this is a fairly straight-forward syscall addition (and it also
would resolve the AT_EMPTY_PATH issue for chmod as well as simplify the
glibc wrapper), I think it makes sense to take this and we can do
set_statx(2) separately?

--
Aleksa Sarai
Senior Software Engineer (Containers)