Re: m68k assembly question: jsr vs. bsr

Hi Adrian,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 at 11:17 PM John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Can anyone answer this question regarding the difference between "bsr" and "jsr":

https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/issues/60354#issuecomment-1412018845

"jsr" is an absolute jump to a subroutine.
"bsr" is a relative jump (8-bit, 16-bit, or 32-bit signed offset) to a
subroutine,
i.e. typically for calling a nearby function.

There's also "jbsr", which is an assembler macro that picks the most
appropriate: bsr does not need relocation, but bsr.l is 68020+ only.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds