Re: Booting Kernel on Amiga 3000

Hi Ingo,

On Tue, Sep 6, 2022 at 7:46 AM Ingo Jürgensmann <ij@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 06.09.2022 um 03:46 schrieb Stephen Walsh <vk3heg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
So, here is the error and a possible solution: using a memfile might
help.
I've not done a memfile before so will need a pointer or two.

Quick pointer was to look it up in my blog about the BigRamPlus:

https://blog.windfluechter.net/2013/12/18/1677-debian-donation-m68k-arrived/

There you can find a memfile. Basically it is quite simple. First line should be ChipMem and in that example there are my 64 MB FastMem on the Warpengine. And next parameter to the starting address is the size in bytes.

The memory layout is like this. Seams to be all the time, booting into
3.1/ATK/SYSINFO

$08000000 - $0FFFFFFF     128Mb (WarpEngine)
$07800000 - $07FFFFFF     8Mb (Fast Ram)
$00004000 - $001FFFFF     2Mb (Chip Ram)

Z3 Warpengine $40000000 (16Mb)
Z2 X-Surf     $00E90000 (64Kb)
Z2 Buddha IDE $00EA0000 (64Kb)

You’ll only need to include those address space that is actually RAM, not address space for firmware or IO stuff.

As there are only two regions of Fast RAM, and the second one should
not be used as it is slow motherboard RAM, I think a memfile won't
make a difference.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds