Re: Booting Linux on Sun3 machines

Hi Sam!

On 1/16/21 2:05 AM, Sam Creasey wrote:
Honestly, it probably doesn't boot.  The last kernel I knew to boot
successfully was 2.6.16, and that required patches.

I guess then we have something to fix :-).

My last round of notes is still here: https://sammy.net/sun3/

OK, thank you. I will have a look.

It does include links to a compiled bootloader to netboot a sun3, and
a very ancient debian userland (though if you get to trying to load
init, I'd call that a victory).

Great. I will probably try the old stuff first, then switch to a newer kernel
and report any issues I run into to the list.

I don't believe I ever wrote up full boot instructions, but the
bootloader is a fork of the NetBSD one, so if you can get
rarp/tftp/nfs/etc working well enough to netboot that, you're in the
right place to try to netboot a Linux kernel.  I don't currently have
a boot server configured, but I might be able to find some time to
set something up and help you debug if you get that far.  I've
certainly still got hardware to test with.

Sounds good. Let's get this back into working state!

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxx