Re: GCC?, was Re: Running m68k on qemu with external initramfs?

Hi Rob,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 11:37 AM Rob Landley <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4/13/20 2:07 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
It would be great to have a minimal reproducer from toysh. Getting that
from the python build looks hard, even with creduce.
https://embed.cs.utah.edu/creduce/

Oh it's not hard, it's just tedious.

Did you know that if you disable optimizations you can get _more_ warnings?

_disabling_ the gcse optimization triggered one of those "may be used
uninitialized but is a false positive 99% of the time" which in this case,
turned out to have a path that could trigger in a function I added last week,
which which was called in an else case 5 lines down. (Yes, when it DIDN'T
segfault, it gave me the warning.)

It's indeed a pity.  I looked into each and every one of them when I could
still compile the kernel with gcc 4.1, to find the few cases that were real
bugs...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds