Re: Linux 4.19 in Debian FTBFS with "undefined reference to `strcmp'"

Hi!

On 12/20/18 12:16 AM, Finn Thain wrote:
Andreas said the error happened when the new compiler expanded a
__bultin_strcmp call to a strcmp call.
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/87in513wbt.fsf@xxxxxxxxx/

The new compiler seems to assume that a strcmp symbol exists in the final
link. I don't see how that kind of assumption is valid here.

So I think the real bug is the lack of -ffreestanding. That omission
allows the compiler to assume that libc is available in the final link.
(At least, I imagine that's what the compiler authors had in mind.)
Anyway, the use of -ffreestanding certainly avoids this optimization.

Could someone whip up a patch so I can add it to the Debian package of
the kernel?

Thanks,
Adrian

--