Re: Apollo Core 68080 (was: Re: Usage of real m68k hardware)

Hello Geert,

Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

(moving to linux-m68k)

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 10:18 AM, Carsten Strotmann <cas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
the new 68080 CPU core might be powerful enough to build on real
hardware again:

<http://www.apollo-core.com/index.htm>

If needbe, I'm willing to invest in and operate build hardware.

Does it have a usable MMU?

There seems to be some talk inthe forums about the presence of an MMU/MPU
but it's not clear to me how advanced it is.

I needed to do some research to answer this question. It seems that the
Apollo Core 68080 CPU has an MMU, but that MMU is not compatible with
the MMU used in previous Motorola M68K CPUs (68040/68060).

Posts from the Apollo Core Design team indicates that the new MMU was
required to get better performance from the CPU. The new MMU is also
more advanced, allowing different memory access protection level.

However it seems that the 68080 MMU is currently not publicly
documented, and Linux support is not "in focus" for the Apollo Core
design team (it might still be possible to get the specs of the MMU).

I'm not familiar with the MMU code in the Linux kernel. Given that the
68080 MMU is "sane", how much work would it possibly be to adapt Linux
to this new MMU?

Greetings

Carsten