Re: debian-installer progress and input needed

On Mon, 15 May 2017, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

Hi!

Recently, I made some progress with debian-installer on m68k and got it
to build on m68k, at least the cdrom installer. It can be downloaded for
testing purpose here [1]. It should work in emulators like Aranym and
qemu-m68k in system mode.

Nice work!

I haven't tested the installer myself yet, but Laurent Vivier had a go
and he confirmed it actually loaded the installer from initrd \o/.

However, there is one task that needs to be addressed and for that I
need help. Since d-i hasn't been touched on m68k for a long time, the
kernel module list is outdated and hence hardware like CD-ROM drives and
similar are not detected.

Thus, I would to ask around which modules are needed for the various
hardware people have, e.g. SCSI driver for 68k Macs, IDE drivers for
Amiga and Atari and so on.

For m68k Macs, the SCSI, IDE, FDC and NIC driver modules are,

	mac_esp
	mac_scsi

	macide

	swim_mod

	mac8390
	macmace
	mac89x0
	macsonic

Their respective Kconfig symbols are:

	CONFIG_SCSI_MAC_ESP
	CONFIG_MAC_SCSI

	CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MAC_IDE

	BLK_DEV_SWIM

	CONFIG_MAC8390
	CONFIG_MACMACE
	CONFIG_MAC89x0
	CONFIG_MACSONIC

Any other Mac-specific modules (ADB, FB, SCC etc) should probably be
built-in.

The drivers need to be added to the corresponding module list in [2]
which will add them to module packages. The module packages then have to
be included in the pkg-list for d-i on m68k [3]. Of course, the drivers
need to be enabled in the kernel configuration as well.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is that the loop-modules udeb
package needs to be enabled for src:linux on m68k because it's required
for the hdmedia d-i images. But I can open a bug report for that as
well.

Installer images would be awesome (I gather that there is no ISO yet...)

--

Thanks,
Adrian

[1] https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-installer-m68k/cdrom/