Re: [alsa-devel] future of sounds/oss

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 09:27:56AM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
But, looking at the tree again, I noticed that ALSA isn't built yet at
all for m68k.  I don't remember why it's disabled.
Jaroslav, do you know the reason behind it?

Might also just be because the m68k port had been dead in Debian for a
while due the lack of TLS support in glibc on m68k. However, the port
is active again and in pretty good shape now.

I'm currently working on fixing debian-installer on m68k, so that
people can install the port without having to resort to things like
debootstrap.

And, dmasound is a completely different implementation from the other
OSS, thus it doesn't suffer from set_fs() hack.  That is, we may still
keep dmasound, while removing other OSS stuff.

Thanks! Highly appreciated.

Meanwhile we'll try to support ALSA on m64k and eventually target to
drop dmasound stuff.

Ooooh, that would be awesome. If you need any testers on m68k, please
let us know. I have plenty of m68k hardware for testing.

Does it sound more feasible?

No idea whether it's feasible. But it sounds awesome :).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxx