Re: gcc-4.6.3, was Re: Debian on mac68k

On Sun, 6 Nov 2016, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

On 11/06/2016 11:22 PM, Finn Thain wrote:

In Debian, we have up-to-date versions of the gcc cross-toolchain for
all target architectures we have in Debian,

Some years ago, for Debian users, I added links to those tools here:
http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/cross-dev.php

But I suspect that this information is no longer current. It may give
the impression that Debian m68k cross-compilers are unavailable. Do
you have any better sources of information that I could link to?

If you're on Debian Stretch or newer, you can just install everything
directly from the regular package archives, very convenient:

$ apt install gcc-m68k-linux-gnu g++-m68k-linux-gnu binutils-m68k-linux-gnu

Nice. More widely useful might be a docker image or some other portable
app container offering these packages. That's not a criticism of Debian,
just a reflection of upstream development practices.

so I think there is little incentive to use these old compilers.

It is useful for upstream developers to have distro-neutral tools.
Ideally, we could use the kernel.org compiler as a "reference
compiler". For automated builds, it seems to be that already. But
no-one boots those binaries AFAIK.

The problem with the toolchain on kernel.org seems that it's not updated
very often if at all.

Updating gcc in this case may or may not fix the crash. I fixed it by
downgrading gcc, but even that result can't be taken to imply a compiler
"bug", just a change in behaviour in gcc-4.6.3 which may even benefit
someone somewhere.

Updating needlessly makes fault-finding more difficult, as witnessed by
the effort required to isolate the "kernel BUG" regression earlier in this
thread.

Dependable tools are more important to me than new tools. YMMV.

--

I mean, gcc-4.6.3 is ancient, that was released over four years ago [1].
gcc has seen lots of improvements and fixes, particularly the SH has had

Adrian

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.6/