Re: [RFC] m68k: network interface on amcore board

Hi Angelo,

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Angelo Dureghello <angelo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
i have still a last issue open on mcf5307-based "amcore"
board i would like to fix, and need a suggestion:

at design time, i wired the 32bit parallel data bus from cpu to
the ethernet chip as "straight" (D0 to D0, ... D32 to D32).

dm9000 driver btw works for little-endian cpu only. To have it
working, i actually keep a byte "swap" patch in the driver.

Since i guess i cannot pretend any driver patch for this case,
i am planning a new pcb version with 32bit data bus bytes swapped
in hardware.

What do you think ?

BenH has written some excellent background information about this:
Big and Little Endian inside / out
https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/2012/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2012-lpc-ref-big-little-endian-herrenschmidt.odp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBSuXP-1Tc0

Happy reading!