Re: [3.13 regression] kswapd0 and ksoftirqd/0 CPU hogs

Geert Uytterhoeven writes:
Hi Mikael,

On Fri, Jun 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM, Mikael Pettersson <mikpelinux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Since updating my ARAnym VMs from 3.12.16 to 3.13.11 I see kswapd0
and ksoftirqd/0 consume inordinate amounts of CPU.  kswapd0 often
rises to about 30-50% CPU even though RAM shouldn't be anywhere near
depleted (768GB, a gcc bootstrap running in a screen session).
kswapd0 tends to stay this way until I drop caches, but doing that
doesn't always fix it.  I also sometimes see ksoftirqd/0 consume
5-30% CPU.

Reverting to 3.12.16 completely eliminates these problems.

Any chance to bisect it?

I haven't tested 3.14 or 3.15-rc yet.

Would be good to know, though, as it may have been fixed.
However, as v3.13.11 is the most recent stable version of v3.13, this may be
an elsewhere unknown and thus unfixed issue.

I've just started a gcc-4.8 bootstrap on 3.14.5, and then I'll try 3.15
if it isn't fixed in 3.14.  If 3.15 too is broken, I'll do the bisect,
but it will be a slow process since it takes anywhere from a few hours
to a couple of days for the bug to appear.

BTW, the presence of some unknown bug causing kswapd0 to hog the CPU has
been mentioned on the Debian m68k list earlier this year.

/Mikael