Re: Where to call platform_device_register()

Hi Daniel,

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM, Daniel Palmer <danieruru@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
So I have a MC68VZ328 machine and I want to add an external RTC +
NVRAM chip to it. The chip itself is working as I can see it ticking
over from my serial bootloader I use to load the kernel. I'm trying to
register it via platform_device_register() in
platform/68000/m68VZ328.c in config_BSP(). I'm getting an ENOMEM error
in return.
From some printk()'s I've added I can see that my call to
platform_device_register() is coming really early and before any of
the built in devices like platform, cpu etc. I'm wondering if I should
be calling platform_device_register() later and the issue I'm seeing
is because my call is before the kernel is really ready for it.
I can't see anywhere else obvious in the m68k tree to put it.

config_BSP() is indeed way too early.

Take a look at e.g. arch/m68k/platform/coldfire/firebee.c.

For an RTC device, using device_initcall() instead of arch_initcall()
should be OK.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds