Re: [GIT PULL] tree-wide: clean up no longer required #include <linux/init.h>

[Re: [GIT PULL] tree-wide: clean up no longer required #include <linux/init.h>] On 05/02/2014 (Wed 07:41) Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Ingo,

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 07:06:33 +0100 Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, if you meant Linus to pull it, you probably want to cite a real
Git URI along the lines of:

   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/init.git

Paul provided the proper git url further down in the mail along with the
usual pull request message (I guess he should have put that bit at the
top).

Yeah, indeed, and it even comes with a signed tag, which is an extra
nice touch:

  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/paulg/linux.git tags/init-cleanup

(I guess the https was mentioned first to lower expectations.)

Just to clarify, the init.git was the repo of raw commits+series file
that was used for testing on linux next; now useless, except for showing
the last several weeks of history (hence the visual http link).  The
signed tag [separate repo] is the application of those commits against
the 3.14-rc1 tag, which was the end goal from the beginning.

Does history matter?  In the case of a cleanup like this, it does only
in the immediate context of this pull request; to help distinguish this
work from some short lived half baked idea that also had its testing
invalidated by arbitrarily rebasing onto the latest shiny tag.

I wouldn't have even mentioned the patch repo, except for the fact that
I know how Linus loves arbitrary rebases [and malformed pull requests]  :)

Thanks,
Paul.
--

Thanks,