Re: What ISA hardware is integrated into m68k bridges

On 12-05-20 05:10 PM, Michael Schmitz wrote:
Paul,

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Paul Gortmaker
<paul.gortmaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Geert,

A discussion is underway with respect to the future of the various ISA
drivers[1], and Alan suggested checking with the m68k folks:

 Check with the M68K people however. 3c501 won't matter to them but I'm
 not sure which of the other chips ended up on Amiga ISA bridges. I know
 NE2000 clones did.

I know you've currently got that "almost ne2k" driver that runs IRQ-less.  Are
there other "ISA-like" onboard devices in the M68k harware scope that rely on
existing (x86) ISA drivers?

Not sure it's still considered ISA based in its current state, but the
smc91x is another one used on Atari. That one's got an interrupt
though, and I had confirmation that it works fine from a user just a
few days ago.

You mentioned the IRQ-less ne2k already - making that one run on
netpoll has stalled for now because I'm too busy at work. Neither
driver has been merged mainstream yet.

Most of the Amiga cards are 8390 or Lance based IIRC (there's a Lance
based Atari driver as well!) but these do not share code with the ISA
Lance drivers as far as I can see. Geert may know more details.

Thanks Michael for the level headed on-topic reply, I appreciate
it.  That smc is used by 20-odd arm defconfigs, so it really isn't
valid to consider it as a stand alone ISA card used just by older
x86 hardware with ISA bus.  In fact I'm not sure it ever shipped as
a standalone ISA card...

Paul.

Cheers,

  Michael