Re: Linux on Amiga A600, a success story (in progress, with possible patch)

Hi Patrick,

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 19:37, Patrick Bottelberger
<patrick.bottelberger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
tried to start it. At first, the Amiga froze every time i started
amiboot, so i tried supplying my cpu type by hand (with "-p 202") and it
worked, but after loading the kernel the amiga fired off a "guru

What did Amiboot detect without the `-p` option (you may want ti try `-d')?
Does it assume a 68882 FPU?

meditation" 00000004 (illegal instruction). After messing around with
some kconfig-options and rebuilding the kernel several time without
getting anywhere i looked at the build process for the NetBSD-kernel i
successfully built for the Amiga before and noticed, that the
NetBSD-guys are building their Amiga-kernel with -msoft-float. So after
applying that to the Linux-kernel (patch attached) the kernel booted,

Strange, -msoft-float should not be needed, as the kernel shouldn't use any
floating point instructions (besides saving/restoring FPU state, which
it shouldn't do with CONFIG_M68KFPU_EMU_ONLY).

but died directly after initializing the the framebuffer, just at
activating the serial console, with a very long panic message. I
couldn't get any output via the serial port (with console=ttyS0), so i
made a video of the Amiga booting with my (very bad) handy camera. I'm
sorry i can't give you a proper boot log becaus of that. If you would

Have you tried `debug=mem', and running the AmigaOS dmesg afterwards?

need one i could try to make a video of the boot process with the
digital camera of my father and either upload that somewhere or write
the messages in the video down. I could make out some of the first lines
in the panic:

Data Read fault at 0x00000020 in Super Data (pcb0xb7e08)
BAD KERNEL BUSERR
Oops: 00000000
PC: (...) internal_create_group+...

The first command in the trace was a call to mm_release, so i figured
the fpu emulator was crashing something inside the sysfs-part of the
kernel. So i tried recompiling the kernel with CONFIG_EXPERT activated
and CONFIG_SYSFS deactivated and it works! After uninstalling udev from

I'd expected this to be the topology issue, but that change doesn't seem
to be in 3.1.4. I'll see whether I can reproduce this.

the debian system and mknod'ing all needed device-files everything seems
to be running fine, with the exception of the RTC (i think that's my
fault, something i missed while configuring my kernel, is there
something needed besides of genrtc to get the A600/A603-clock working?)

Do you know what clock chip is used on the A603? I had a quick look on the
net, but couldn't find it (I did see a picture of an A604 with a partially
covered chip that said M6242). If you can't find it, I can ask Jens.

Currently, Linux assumes an A2000 clock chip, which is an Oki MSM6242.
If it's a Ricoh RP5C01, you have to modify arch/m68k/amiga/config.c to
select an A3000 clock chip on A600.

and the PCMCIA network card (some card with NE2000-chip, it works
flawlessly under AmigaOS with cnet.device and NetBSD, when inserting the
apne module i get "ethernet PCMCIA card inserted", followed by "device
not found". Maybe i'm missing a device file here?).

Sorry, cannot help you there.

Thanks for your report!

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert