Re: coldfire v4e

Hi Bjarne,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 14:47, Jensen, Bjarne <bkj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
We are developing an application on a board with a Coldfire v4e processor (m54418) and are wondering if it will be possible to make the kernel preemptive and how much effort it will take. Has anyone tried it with this processor?

I have noticed that when I enable the "MMU-based Paged Memory Management Support" option, the "Preemption Model" option disappears no matter which "Processor type" I choose. Is it simply because it is not implemented or is it just not possible on this type of processors?

Generic preempt support relies on the spinlocks that were introduced when
adding SMP support. So far we never had SMP support for m68k, hence we
didn't do a proper conversion from disable_irq()/enable_irq() to spinlocks,
and kept on using the simpler local_irq_*() ops in arch/m68k and in several
drivers. These have to be fixed first.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds