Re: 8390 drivers

Hi Finn,
Is lib8390.c ever compiled standalone (as opposed to it being included
in each driver)?

That probably depends on Christian's .config (I don't know how modularity affects things) but in general yes: apne.c links in 8390.o. (Whereas hydra and zorro8390 #include the library.)
OK, I missed apne.c here - not sure it is even built in the default config though.
Either way, to avoid multiple inclusion of lib8390 symbols confusing the zorro8390 driver, Christian could disable the apne and eventual other ISA 8390 drivers in the build.

If he did that instead of testing the patch, and fixed the problem, he would then have to perform another test for the same patch, no?
Right - I'm working on the assumption it is not necessarily symbol clashes. Duplicate symbols should have been reported at link time (or when a module is inserted, at latest).
If that's not helping, something in the Amiga interrupt code may be at fault. Your Mac driver withstands a flood ping OK (that still leaves you open to concurrent net and disk I/O presenting a problem BTW - transferring a big amount of data using netcat might be a better approximation of Christian's problem).

Yes, but if the NIC works with idle disk and fails with SCSI load, would you not blame the VIA driver?
Not necessarily - there may be a driver locking out interrupts for too long so the timeout happens before the interrupt gets serviced. Not very likely - the timeout would have to run before the net bottom half.
Anyway, I shall try that test before I send the patch for the VIA driver to fix the nubus slot IRQ issue.

The Atari EtherNEC driver has withstood 15 minutes of single-source flooding with a single log message:

Jul 20 02:26:24 hobbes kernel: eth0: bogus packet: status=0x37
nxpg=0x4f size=102

I've seen that quite a bit when transferring files in the past, but it
never stopped the driver from working.

The main difference between the EtherNEC driver and the other 8390 drivers is that I still link to 8390.o explicitly, instead of including lib8390.c (shame on me).

I guess there are benefits to each approach? I assume that linking to 8390.o, though simpler, would end up slower (?)
That, and it ends up not using net_ops in the driver at all. Obsolete interface ...

 Michael

Finn

Cheers,

  Michael