Re: [git pull] m68k SLUB fix for 2.6.39

On Tue, 3 May 2011, David Rientjes wrote:

So we're in the unfortunate position where slub works fine for some
architectures with DISCONTIGMEM and not with others.  It seems like the
problems originating on James' hppa aren't related to slab allocation at
all, though, so I'm wondering if we should rethink disallowing SLUB as it
sits in Linus' tree right now for everything that uses DISCONTINGMEM
without NUMA and not force them to enable CONFIG_BROKEN?

Perhaps change the kconfig entry to only block slub for parisc instead?

As i have explained multiple times before: This is a generic issue with a
kernel configuration that has DISCONTIGMEM on and NUMA configured off.
Core code in various subsystems makes various assumptions in the !NUMA
case. F.e. page_to_nid(page) == 0. Slub is one of them.

DISCONTIGMEM works fine on !NUMA if it just has a single node which is 0.
But in James' hppa we have multiple nodes and thus a fundamental problem
with node 1 existing in a non NUMA environment. We then have a strange
mixture of NUMA nodes existing in DISCONTIGMEM code and the core code
assuming there are none. This can lead to numerous weird problems.

IMHO A config broken for DISCONTIG and !NUMA for arches that can actually
use multiple DISCONTIG nodes would be the proper thing.