Re: initcall question

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009, Brad Boyer wrote:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 12:56:50AM +1100, fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:
If the platform devices are statically defined, they get no release
method which can result in the driver core carping, "Device 'scc.0'
does not have a release() function, it is broken and must be fixed",
and then dumping a backtrace.

The alternative to statically defined devices is
platform_device_alloc(), which does provide a release method, but I
can't call it at arch_initcall time because the console_initcall has
already happened. And I can't use it at setup_arch() time (when the
boot info is parsed) because there's no kmalloc() yet.

What to do? I don't want to export the bootinfo data to the pmac_zilog
driver for console initialisation. And I'd really like to avoid a
bunch of hard coded SCC base addresses.

Any suggestions?

Could you just define and set a release function that does nothing?
That's kind of silly, but it seems like it should work. If it's static
memory anyway, there isn't anything to free.

I guess it is a cheap enough. It does work.

Thanks,
Finn

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx