Re: gcc parameter for kernel compile

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 08:52:12PM -0500, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:
When compiling my m68k linux kernel, gcc is being started with the
following first parameters, for example:

gcc -Wp,-MD,sound/oss/dmasound/.dmasound_core.mod.o.d

and all the other objects follow the same pattern.

I am not able to locate -Wp,-MD... in the gcc documentation, any suggestions?

You need to look around at multiple places in the documentation for that
combination. The first part (-Wp) is described here (near the top):

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.4.0/gcc/Preprocessor-Options.html#Preprocessor-Options

Basically, anything that is -Wp,<something> means that the "<something>"
is passed exactly as is to cpp. The -MD option to the preprocessor is
described in a later section on the same page.

The summary is that this command line is generating a dependency tree
for the file and saving it on disk for use by make.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx