Re: [RFC] fbcon and VBL IRQs

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 07:12:41PM +1100, Finn Thain wrote:
I haven't submitted this with sign-off because I'm not actually sure that
a VBL interrupt is desirable. It adds overhead and I don't think I've seen
any problems from the cursor timer on macs (are there any?). Perhaps we
should just rip out the mac VBL code instead of fixing it?

I think we should forget about this. The interrupt in question on the Mac
isn't really tied to the video at all. It's only called a VBL interrupt
for historical reasons. In fact, it relies on VIA2 being setup correctly
on some models. Apple added it to emulate the behavior of the original
Macintosh where that line really was tied to the video circuits, but in
later models it's tied to the output of one of the timers in VIA2 or
generated inside RBV.

We should either use an interrupt actually generated by the video on
each machine or just use a timer, since this interrupt is really just
a timer anyway.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx