Re: Known working 2.6 kernel config for m68k Mac

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, J Silverman wrote:

Now I got some interesting news.  I took Stephen Marenka's config for a
2.6.25.2 kernel and chopped out just enough to squeeze the kernel on a
single floppy.  And guess what? It actually booted!  Well, sort of.

Nice!

The kernel messages started scrolling like normal then the whole machine
spontaneously shut off.  I seen this happen once before when I had the
fpu emulation option turned on.  So I turned it off and tried again.
This time it didn't boot.  It stopped at the same place as before.

I wonder if it is possible to build a kernel having no FPU emulation and
containing no FPU instructions. CONFIG_M68KFPU_EMU_ONLY depends on
CONFIG_M68KFPU_EMU...

I'll hope to be able to give more debugging information soon.  I'll be
setting up a serial cable shortly.  By the way, do you know what the
settings I need to set on the other mac to read the powerbook's serial
port?

You get to choose those settings. The command line I gave has "9600n8"
meaning 9600 baud, no parity, 8 data bits (and 1 stop bit). Which is
probably the default anyway.

BTW, this is purely for debugging. The driver for the userland /dev/ttyS0
device (e.g. for serial console login) is not available (though we could
probably use the powermac zilog driver).

Finn