From: Brad Boyer <flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Known working 2.6 kernel config for m68k Mac
To: "J Silverman" <g1powermac@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Finn Thain" <fthain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-m68k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Friday, August 15, 2008, 1:55 PM
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 10:39:39AM -0700, J Silverman wrote:
Now I got some interesting news.  I took Stephen
Marenka's config for
a 2.6.25.2 kernel and chopped out just enough to
squeeze the kernel
on a single floppy.  And guess what? It actually
booted!  Well, sort
of.  The kernel messages started scrolling like normal
then the whole
machine spontaneously shut off.  I seen this happen
once before when
I had the fpu emulation option turned on.  So I turned
it off and
tried again.  This time it didn't boot.  It
stopped at the same
place as before.

The spontaneous reboot or shutdown on a PowerBook is
generally a
result of not having a good PMU driver. If the driver drops
message, the PMU considers the OS to have crashed and kills
off
the whole system. It's kind of a painful process. I
have done
all my work on desktop systems, primarily the IIfx. I think
Finn
has mostly been using Quadra systems for development.

	Brad Boyer
	flar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx