Re: [GIT PULL] XFS update for 2.6.27-rc4

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:51:30 +1000
Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

|   CC      arch/m68k/kernel/asm-offsets.s
| In file included from linux/include/linux/mm_types.h:12,
|                  from linux/include/linux/sched.h:61,
|                  from linux/arch/m68k/kernel/asm-offsets.c:12:
| linux/include/linux/completion.h: In function 'try_wait_for_completion':
| linux/include/linux/completion.h:80: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
| linux/include/linux/completion.h: In function 'completion_done':
| linux/include/linux/completion.h:99: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
| make[3]: *** [arch/m68k/kernel/asm-offsets.s] Error 1
| make[2]: *** [prepare0] Error 2
| make[1]: *** [sub-make] Error 2

(cfr. http://kisskb.ellerman.id.au/kisskb/buildresult/42080/)

Apparently there was not sufficient time between entering linux-next and
Linus' tree to notice this breakage before, while the original patch was already
posted on July 11...

It spent the time between then and now in the -mm tree. Seems
like nobody is building m68k out of -mm.

I test m68k build regularly, but only allmodconfig.

Our (complexity(config system) * complexity(header files)) is so large
that compilation testing doesn't prove anything useful.  You just have
to check your homework very carefully and don earplugs for the
inevitable explosions.

I'm out for the next 3 days, but it seems to me that the easiest fix
is to move that code out of the header (i.e. uninline them) so the
patch below is only compile tested on x86_64 - I've got to go load a
trailer and get moving...

I'll give it a whizz on a few architectures, but it looks quite safe
from here.  It looks like the uninlining was desirable from a
size/speed POV anyway.