Re: Problem mounting ext2 using ext3?

On Tue 06-05-08 09:26:30, Vegard Nossum wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 12:26 AM, Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 11:11:46PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
 > when mounting the root file system, which is ext2 (has_journal is not set).
 > Apparently it crashes in ext3_sync_fs because EXT3_SB(sb)->s_journal is NULL.
 >
 > At first I thought it was an issue with the byteswapped IDE bus on Atari (a
 > new and different solution to handle this just went into mainline), but if I
 > disable CONFIG_EXT3 support, it boots up fine.
 >
 > Is this a known problem?

 I can confirm this as a regression.  You don't even need to mount it
 as a root filesystem, or do this on an 68k system.  On my x86 system,
 using a kernel based off of git commit: afa26be8 (6 commits after
 2.6.26-rc1), mounting an ext3 filesystem, you can cause an oops by
 taking an ext2 filesystem and forcing a mount as ext3, "mount -t ext3
 /dev/closure/textext2fs /mnt").  (see below for my oops).  This does
 not occur with a kernel based off of 2.6.25, so it's a definite
 regression.

Hi,

I posted a very similar problem a couple of days ago:
http://www.nabble.com/BUG-in-ext3_sync_fs-td16999997.html

to which I got zero replies. Can I close this in my internal bugzilla
as dup/"not my fault"? The stacktrace looks very similar. This was
also ext2 fs mounted (apparently) by ext3 code.
  Yes, this looks like the same problem. I'll take care of that.

								Honza
--
Jan Kara <jack@xxxxxxx>
SUSE Labs, CR