Re: mac_esp bus error handling, was Re: setjmp/longjmp?

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008, Michael Schmitz wrote:

Hi,

The only missing bit is to skip the writeback, as the fault has to
be first fixed by the caller, so the patch below should do the
trick...

It does indeed do the trick! Thanks, Roman.

No more access faults from kernel space possible this way?

The faults are all generated by accesses to the PDMA glue logic I/O
register; that address would be in kernel space.

What happens with PDMA commands that fail during error processing -
won't that command data belong in kernel space?

esp->command_block is in kernel space too but I don't know what the
implications are for handling faults. I have had to use the chip's
transfer count to determine where to resume a sequence of writes to the
I/O register following a fault. Apparently a bus error on a read from the
I/O register prevents the post-increment on the destination address, so
resuming is simpler.

Otherwise, great job, Finn!

Thanks!

-f