Re: Draft TLS/NPTL ABI for m68k and ColdFire, version 0.2

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Brad Boyer wrote:
Can you get SMP ColdFire boxes? Linux has historically not supported
SMP on m68k, and much of the code isn't really SMP safe (particularly
some of the drivers for 68k based systems). This isn't to say we
shouldn't have this option, but it seems like a low priority.

I don't know if SMP exists at present, but the aim is that glibc binaries
built now should work on any future SMP hardware and kernels, which seems
to require a kernel barrier operation unless you know there will never be
SMP hardware (or that such hardware will have a memory architecture not
needing the barriers).

Although there exist SMP m68k boxes, no one ported Linux to them yet
(AFAIK).

I'd rather expect Coldfire to go multicore some day...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

						Geert

							    -- Linus Torvalds
-