Re: Trying to move Linux to different memory location on M5485evb based board

I'm not familiar with these processors, but if it was, say, a 68040,
I might try to set up the MMU to make the SDRAM appear at address 0
in supervisor mode.  Obviously there are few hoops to jump through to
get from running code in FLASH to running code in SRAM that is mapped
over the top of the FLASH, but that approach might let you leave the
kernel living at address 0.

Richard

James Kimble wrote:

I'm attempting to port a Linux BSP distributed with the M5485evb board to a custom board based on the same hardware. The primary difference between the boards is the memory map and the flash chips. The Freescale (I should say Logic, who makes the board) board has SDRAM starting at address 0x0 and FLASH at 0xF0000000. My board has Flash starting at address 0x0 and SDRAM starting at 0x30000000. I've ported Colilo and am able to initialize everything (RAM, FLASH, serial ports, console, Ethernet) but Linux will not boot (doesn't fail, just nothing). I've adjusted the SDRAM_BASE and FLASH_BASE parameters in the kernel code but still no luck. Can anyone give me some idea what might be going wrong here? Is it easy to move Linux
around in memory or does everyone leave it at 0x0 just because?

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

-

-