Re: Aw: Re: [RFC v1 5/5] arm64: dts: mediatek: Add mt7986 based Bananapi R3 Mini

Am 9. Mai 2024 12:10:59 MESZ schrieb AngeloGioacchino Del Regno <angelogioacchino.delregno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>Il 08/05/24 20:25, Frank Wunderlich ha scritto:
>> Hi
>>
>>> Gesendet: Dienstag, 07. Mai 2024 um 15:35 Uhr
>>> Von: "AngeloGioacchino Del Regno" <angelogioacchino.delregno@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

>>> You're right, sorry - I confused the general purpose PWM controller with the
>>> rather specific DISP_PWM controller (which does support polarity inversion).
>>>
>>> It's good - but I'd appreciate if you can please add a comment stating that
>>> the PWM values are inverted in SW because the controller does *not* support
>>> polarity inversion... so that next time someone looks at this will immediately
>>> understand what's going on and why :-)
>>
>> so i would change comment like this:
>>
>> 		/* cooling level (0, 1, 2)
>> 		 * signal is inverted on board
>> 		 * mtk pwm driver does not support
>> 		 * PWM_POLARITY_INVERTED */
>>

>There you go:
>
>/*
> * The signal is inverted on this board and the general purpose
> * PWM HW IP in this SoC does not support polarity inversion.
> */
>/* Cooling level < 0  1  2> */
>cooling-levels = <255 96 0>;

Thanks for clearing structure of the comment,but imho actually it is a driver issue (for all mtk SoC). Not sure it is really a hardware limitation. So i would change this to "... and the PWM driver does not support polarity inversion."

>>> I mean in place of the function-enumerator... that's practically used to
>>> distinguish between instances, it's not too common to see it, and usually
>>> "label" replaces exactly that - just that, instead of a different number,
>>> it gets a different name with no (usually) meaningless numbers :-)
>>
>> as far as i understand using label also makes "function" property useless, after discussing
>> this with eric i would drop both on all 4 places by labels like these:
>>
>> label = "yellow-lan";
>> label = "green-lan";
>>
>> not sure if we should drop color property too...
>>

>I'm looking at the leds binding (leds/common.yaml) right now.
>
>My suggestion of using 'label' was actually wrong - and your devicetree was
>actually right!!! (apart from the default-trigger that may not work)
>
>Infact, the documentation says, in brief:
>
>- function-enumerator is ignored if label is present
>- function doesn't say that gets ignored
>- color doesn't say that gets ignored
>- label says:
>  - If not present -> get string from node name
>  - function-enumerator ignored
>  - This property is deprecated
>
>...but the 'label' binding does not say 'deprecated: true', which is something
>that must be fixed!

Ok,i can try to add the property to binding (independ of this series). Imho label was cleaner than function and function-enumerator...

>So, I'm sorry for the confusion, the noise and the useless loss of time around
>this - you can keep the LED nodes as they are, and that's a lesson for the future
>me reviewing another node like this one.

Don't worry, we are all humas...i missed looking in linux-next for the other binding-patches.

>P.S.: This shouldn't have been a RFC, as the patches are more than RFC quality!!!

I sent it as RFC because i had not expected to be merged before next is closed.

>Cheers,
>Angelo

regards Frank

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]