Re: Linux support for a 7 segment LED display

Hi!

> > > Why would LEDs connected to a bunch of GPIOs in a specific fashion
> > > require a hardware driver?  Doesn't drivers/leds/leds-gpio.c already
> > > provide all the support you need?
> > Yes I could expose the individual segments as gpio-ledsbut it would be
> > nicer if they worked in a more co-ordinated fashion so I didn't have to
> > care about the individual segments and could just say "display 7" or
> > "display 0".
>
> Still not sure this sort of thing should be kernel-side.
>
> Sounds more like the role of a library or middle-layer.

We do already have 7-segment support in auxdisplay. We should simply
use that interface. Simply create auxdisplay driver that uses gpios
and provides interface similar to what is already there.

(Of course, just using gpio library for userspace will be easier).

Best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]