Re: Implement per-key keyboard backlight as auxdisplay?

Hi!

> > > And then storing RGB in separate bytes, so userspace will then
> > > always send a buffer of 192 bytes per line (64x3) x 14 rows
> > > = 3072 bytes. With the kernel driver ignoring parts of
> > > the buffer where there are no actual keys.
> > That's really really weird interface. If you are doing RGB888 64x14,
> > lets make it a ... display? :-).
> >
> > ioctl always sending 3072 bytes is really a hack.
> >
> > Small displays exist and are quite common, surely we'd handle this as
> > a display:
> > https://pajenicko.cz/displeje/graficky-oled-displej-0-66-64x48-i2c-bily-wemos-d1-mini
> > It is 64x48.
> >
> > And then there's this:
> > https://pajenicko.cz/displeje/maticovy-8x8-led-displej-s-radicem-max7219
> > and this:
> > https://pajenicko.cz/displeje/maticovy-8x32-led-displej-s-radicem-max7219
> >
> > One of them is 8x8.
> >
> > Surely those should be displays, too?
>
> But what about a light bar with, lets say, 3 zones. Is that a 3x1 display?
>
> And what about a mouse having lit mousebuttons and a single led light bar at
> the wrist: a 2x2 display, but one is thin but long and one is not used?

So indeed LEDs can arranged into various shapes. Like a ring, or this:

 * *
* * *
 * *

https://pajenicko.cz/led-moduly?page=2

Dunno. Sounds like a display is still a best match for them. Some of
modules are RGB, some are single-color only, I'm sure there will be
various bit depths.

I guess we can do 3x1 and 2x2 displays. Or we could try to solve
keyboards and ignore those for now.

Best regards,
								Pavel
--
People of Russia, stop Putin before his war on Ukraine escalates.

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]