Proposal to add one "configured" property to indicate whether LED has been configured

Hi Pavel,
When using a LED driver (leds-lp5562.c), we think of one potential
change to the Linux LED subsystem:
LED in Linux Kernel did not assume it could be configured before
Kernel, bootloader specifically. But, from a product perspective,
users expect to get feedback as soon as possible. So it is quite
possible that product developers have configured and turned on the LED
in bootloader to indicate sign of life. However, LED drivers just
re-initialize LED controllers (hardware) and LED would be off
afterwards, until it was turned on again by commands from user-space.
So we are thinking of adding one property "configured" to tell if the
LED was configured before. If so, drivers would not re-configure the
LED controller and could read some key information (brightness,
current etc) from the LED controller.
1) This property can be optional. If linux led thinks the change is
acceptable, we can upstream the changes to leds-lp5562.c (we can
slowly change other led drivers whenever they encounter the same
issue.)
2) If this proposal is not considered beneficial to the Linux LED
subsystem, can we add it only to leds-lp5562.c and upstream the
change?
Thanks
Jack Chen

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]