Re: RFC: LED hw triggering API

Hi!

> so I've been thinking a little about LED HW triggering API since Jacek
> replied to my patch for Turris LEDs.
>
> There are many chips which expose SW control of LEDs which can also be
> put into HW control mode, for example network PHYs, switches, wireless
> cards etc.
>
> Jacek proposed a hardware_controlled file to the LED core, exposed only
> if supported by hardware when the a new flag LED_DEV_CAP_HW_CONTROL is
> set on the LED.
>     - if the device supports several hardware controlled modes, it is
>       put into one of these modes and a hardware_trigger file is
>       created, via which these mode can be changed.
>       This hardware_trigger file behaves similarly to classic trigger
>       file, ie. on read it returns space-separated list of supported
>       hardware triggers, the currently selected one in brackets.

Ok, so it seems we need "hardware_trigger" (or "hw_trigger"?) file,
anyway, because it is common for hardware to have few modes.

What about getting rid of hardware_controlled file, and just having
"hw_trigger", working similar to current "trigger" semantics?

hw_trigger would

* only be present if LED can be hardware controlled

* echo none > hw_trigger would give control to software

* echo mode > hw_trigger would give control to hardware, in given mode

* cat hw_trigger would list possible modes.

* echo 0 > brightness would clear set both "trigger" and "hw_trigger" to
  none.

* any change to trigger or hw_trigger would set the other one to
  "none".

But .. looking at proposal. I believe most consistent / logical
solution would be to simply add hardware triggers into list of
triggers, and treat them the same way. Yes, that would mean different
trigger lists per LED, but I don't think that's a problem, and it is
logical solution for our users.

Best regards,
									Pavel

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ARM Kernel]     [Linux ARM]     [Linux Omap]     [Fedora ARM]     [IETF Annouce]     [Security]     [Bugtraq]     [Linux OMAP]     [Linux MIPS]     [ECOS]     [Asterisk Internet PBX]     [Linux API]