Re: brightness units

Hi Jacek and Bryan,

On 04/02/2014 07:09 AM, Bryan Wu wrote:
On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 12:21 AM, Jacek Anaszewski
<j.anaszewski@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am currently integrating LED subsystem and V4L2 Flash API.
V4L2 Flash API defines units of torch and flash intensity
in milliampers. In the LED subsystem documentation I can't
find any reference to the brightness units. On the other
hand there is led_brightness enum defined in the <linux/leds.h>
header, with LED_FULL = 255, but not all leds drivers use it.
I am aware that there are LEDs that can be only turned on/off
without any possibility to set the current and in such cases
LED_FULL doesn't reflect the current set.

Actually led_brightness is an logic concept not like milliampers,
since different led drivers has different implementation which is
hardware related. Like PWM led driver, it will be converted to duty
cycles.

For current control I do see some specific driver like LP55xx have it
but not for every one.

So far I've assumed that brightness is expressed in milliampers
and I don't stick to the LED_FULL limit. It allows for passing
flash/torch intensity from V4L2 controls to the leds API
without conversion. I am not sure if the units should be
fixed to milliampers in the LED subsystem or not. It would
clarify the situation, but if the existing LED drivers don't
stick to this unit then it would make a confusion.

We probably need to convert those intensity to brightness numbers, for
example mapping the intensity value to 0 ~ 255 brightness level and
pass it to LED subsystem.

In view of the above I'd like to ask for any advice on
how to proceed.

In LP55xx drivers, brightness and current are separate feature.
Brightness is PWM output from the LED device. It's exactly matched with LED subsystem. Current setting is used for output limit of each LED channel. This is the device specific feature. It's not max brightness domain. To support various LED components, we need this feature. If the output current is too big, some LED components will be burned.

My opinion, it would be better if you could scale the flash/torch intensity and pass to the brightness of LED subsystem. Specific milliamps value is device specific, so we may need generic interface to set the intensity by using LED subsystem.

Best regards,
Milo