Re: [RFC 0/2] V4L2 API for exposing flash subdevs as LED class device

On 07.05.2013 17:07, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2013 02:11:27 Kim, Milo wrote:
>> On Monday, May 06, 2013 6:34 PM Andrzej Hajda wrote:
>>> This RFC proposes generic API for exposing flash subdevices via LED
>>> framework.
>>>
>>> Rationale
>>>
>>> Currently there are two frameworks which are used for exposing LED
>>> flash to user space:
>>> - V4L2 flash controls,
>>> - LED framework(with custom sysfs attributes).
>>>
>>> The list below shows flash drivers in mainline kernel with initial
>>> commit date and typical chip application (according to producer):
>>>
>>> LED API:
>>>     lm3642: 2012-09-12, Cameras
>>>     lm355x: 2012-09-05, Cameras
>>>     max8997: 2011-12-14, Cameras (?)
>>>     lp3944: 2009-06-19, Cameras, Lights, Indicators, Toys
>>>     pca955x: 2008-07-16, Cameras, Indicators (?)
>>>
>>> V4L2 API:
>>>     as3645a:  2011-05-05, Cameras
>>>     adp1653: 2011-05-05, Cameras
>>>
>>> V4L2 provides richest functionality, but there is often demand from
>>> application developers to provide already established LED API. We would
>>> like to have an unified user interface for flash devices. Some of devices
>>> already have the LED API driver exposing limited set of a Flash IC
>>> functionality. In order to support all required features the LED API
>>> would have to be extended or the V4L2 API would need to be used. However
>>> when switching from a LED to a V4L2 Flash driver existing LED API
>>> interface would need to be retained.
>>>
>>> Proposed solution
>>>
>>> This patch adds V4L2 helper functions to register existing V4L2 flash
>>> subdev as LED class device. After registration via v4l2_leddev_register
>>> appropriate entry in /sys/class/leds/ is created. During registration all
>>> V4L2 flash controls are enumerated and corresponding attributes are added.
>>>
>>> I have attached also patch with new max77693-led driver using v4l2_leddev.
>>> This patch requires presence of the patch "max77693: added device tree
>>> support": https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/2414351/ .
>>>
>>> Additional features
>>>
>>> - simple API to access all V4L2 flash controls via sysfs,
>>> - V4L2 subdevice should not be registered by V4L2 device to use it,
>>> - LED triggers API can be used to control the device,
>>> - LED device is optional - it will be created only if V4L2_LEDDEV
>>>   configuration option is enabled and the subdev driver calls
>>>   v4l2_leddev_register.
>>>
>>> Doubts
>>>
>>> This RFC is a result of a uncertainty which API developers should expose
>>> by their flash drivers. It is a try to gluing together both APIs. I am not
>>> sure if it is the best solution, but I hope there will be some discussion
>>> and hopefully some decisions will be taken which way we should follow.
>> The LED subsystem provides similar APIs for the Camera driver.
>> With LED trigger event, flash and torch are enabled/disabled.
>> I'm not sure this is applicable for you.
>> Could you take a look at LED camera trigger feature?

> [...]
Extending LED API IMHO seems to be quite straightforward - by adding
attributes for supported functionalities. We just need a specification for
standard flash/torch attributes.
I could prepare an RFC about it if there is a will to explore this
direction.

--
Regards
Andrzej Hajda <a.hajda@xxxxxxxxxxx>