Re: 2.6.17-1.2174_FC5: : Disabling IRQ #7 / nobody cared / usb_hcd_irq

Hi Bill,

thank you again for your help!

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Matter of approach. I would not disable an IRQ until there had been some
> number of uncaught interrupts in a row, others feel the number is one.
> But there really is an interrupt, so it's probably not a "bug" in that
> sense.
>

>>> - disable any CPU speed stuff you have running (just for information)
>>>

>> Yes, i'm using cpufreq, but it's a feature i'm not willing to give away
>> because the laptop is more silent. The fan works less.
>>

> Noted, but "just for information" would let you see if the speedstep was
> the cause, or at least contributed. That would help run it down.

Cpuspeed doesn't seem to be the problem. After disabling the service,
the problem is still there.

>>> Yes, that's a shotgun approach, I'm still running 2.6.16.2111 on FC4
>>> because later kernels don't init the video or wireless correctly.
>>>

>> Thank you once again.
>>
> I have a machine which does zero or one of these, so I'm familiar with
> the problem. I am running an older kernel which whines but doesn't
> disable, and since I don't need IRQ7 I wouldn't be too unhappy if it did
> disable. But I think there's an underlying hardware issue, or at least
> hardware to driver mismatch. Since you said irqpoll causes problems
> there's definitely something not working right.

Could it be that the noapic kernel parameter influences this behavior?

Best regards,
simeon
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-laptop" in

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ACPI]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]