RE: kernel vs user power management

>> I installed SL10.1 today on a P3M laptop (Dell D600)
>> and it defaults to the "Powersave" scheme which includes
>> "Dynamic Frequency Scaling" (ondemand), so that is good.
>>
>> However, by defaulit "Allow Throttling" is CHECKED
>> and Max %  is set to 50%.
>>
>> Exactly what does this mean?
>> I looked in /proc/acpi/processor/*/throttling and the
>> laptop is still in T0.
>
>It means that the powersaved throttles your CPU if there is no load and
>dethrottles if there is load. It's that way already for
>several years and
>I only got a report about performance loss on SMP systems, so
>we don't do
>throttling by default on those systems.

I see -- my test platform changed from dual-core to single-core,
so I didn't see this issue before.

>> Is there an easy way for me to modify the kernel to
>> convince the powersaved application that the system
>> does not support throttling?  I'm thinking that we've
>> given user-space too much rope and it has proceeded
>> to hang itself.
>
>I'm currently working on a solution to allow throttling only on systems
>which don't support CPUfreq. At the point this thread came up, or a few
>days later as we talked about it, I completely agreed with you. But at
>that time we already had RC1 in regard to SUSE Linux 10.1, so
>there was no
>possibility anymore to change such a default behaviour. For
>the unstable
>powersave realeases, there will come up some changes soon, though.

I understand, though I think it would be more practical to not
enable throttling by default on any system; and for systems
with cpufreq to not even advertise this option to users.

Also, I think something is broken today.
If I use the GUI to disable throttling in the Powersave scheme
and save, and then pull out the plug; a window with "watch
.../throttling"
shows that the system drops into T2, and then bounces back to T0.

I don't trust the application to keep its hands off this file,
so I think that I need a way to disable/remove that file.

thanks,
-Len
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-laptop" in

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ACPI]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]