RE: kernel vs user power management

>> >Yes, this is reasonable, indeen. Will do that. With p-states in this
>> >context, you mean cpufreq here?
>>
>> throttling is always T-states.
>> cpufreq is usually p-states, but in the case of p4clockmod,
>> it is T-states also.  As I mentioned above, cpufreq is doing
>> you a dis-service by hiding the difference from you
>> and really need to be enhanced to know (and export)
>> the difference.
>
>Yes, this would be good, indeed. But what else drivers are currently
>affected? It's only p4clockmod I know of.

I installed SL10.1 today on a P3M laptop (Dell D600)
and it defaults to the "Powersave" scheme which includes
"Dynamic Frequency Scaling" (ondemand), so that is good.

However, by defaulit "Allow Throttling" is CHECKED
and Max %  is set to 50%.

Exactly what does this mean?
I looked in /proc/acpi/processor/*/throttling and the
laptop is still in T0.

Is there an easy way for me to modify the kernel to
convince the powersaved application that the system
does not support throttling?  I'm thinking that we've
given user-space too much rope and it has proceeded
to hang itself.

thanks,
-Len
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-laptop" in

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ACPI]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]