system call to check battery energy?

Hi All.

Would anyone know if i could make a simple system call
and find the battery energy remaining?

I am relatively new to linux, but i have uncovered
that apm and acpi are power management tools. trying
apm gives me the lifetime  ,not in terms of energy say
in terms of mAh. acpi on the other hand does
seem(havent tried it yet) to give me values in terms
of energy. But i was wondering if there is a way i can
just do a system call and find the energy value than
having to configure acpi. Would appreciate any
pointers.

Thanks,
Vinod