Re: Laptop APM & ACPI

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Bennie Kahler-Venter wrote:

> I currently have a problem with an AOpen 1845 Laptop.  When ACPI & APM is
> turned on, the mouse plugged into the PS/2 port will misbehave occasionally
> when the machine gets a bit busy.  Turning APM and ACPI off at boot time
> solved the problem but now the power management is gone.

This probably won't actually solve the problem, but try it with just
apm=off (using ACPI), or just acpi=off (using APM).  You might get lucky.
If you have neither off, the first to be initialized is the winner, and if
your kernel is modular, that depends on the order of loading drivers.

In kernel 2.4.x and previous, APM support was more mature than ACPI;
however, ACPI is mature in the 2.6.x kernels, and vendors put work into the
ACPI BIOS and not into APM.  Some, e.g. Dell, have even dropped APM
entirely.

Might there be a BIOS update for your laptop?

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-laptop" in

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ACPI]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]