Re: Dell D810 Laptop Suspend/Resume

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005, Davy Durham wrote:

> Why do you supose none of these are working quite right for me?
>
> "echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep" and "echo mem > /sys/power/state" both show in the
> /var/log/messages
>
> Apr 22 21:19:22 localhost kernel: Stopping tasks:
> Apr 22 21:19:22 localhost kernel: stopping tasks failed (1 tasks remaining)
> Apr 22 21:19:22 localhost kernel: Restarting tasks...<6> Strange,
> mDNSResponder not stopped
> Apr 22 21:19:22 localhost kernel: done
> Apr 22 21:19:22 localhost gpm[4262]: *** info [mice.c(1766)]:
> Apr 22 21:19:22 localhost gpm[4262]: imps2: Auto-detected intellimouse PS/2
> Apr 22 21:19:24 localhost hald[4360]: Timed out waiting for hotplug event 732.
> Rebasing to 734

If mDNSResponder could not be stopped, likely the suspend process would
bail out and put everything back the way it was.  Do you need this service?
It's the server for Mac OS-X style multicast DNS when you have no real DNS
server on the net.

> And 4 and disk don't do anything.. How can I enable this method, or any idea
> why they don't do anything?

When resuming is attempted, before the initrd, the first thing it does is
to translate the resume device (e.g. resume=/dev/sda2) to a major and minor
number (e.g. 8:2), but if the device does not yet exist (i.e. the driver is
not yet loaded), that's impossible.  Assuming that there's no resume image,
the device number would be saved and then used when you suspend.  That's a
safety feature ensuring that you'll be able to read the image when you try
to resume.

Starting in kernel 2.6.11.(about 4?), there's a feature where you can set
the device number and/or attempt to resume by "echo resume >
/sys/power/state".  The initrd in SuSE 9.3 does this, _after_ loading the
driver.  But after you've mounted the root filesystem, even readonly if it
has a journal, or if you've turned on swap, you had better not do this,
because either the resume image or the filesystem will be corrupted.

I think 2.6.12 has bug fixes which make the process more reliable, at least
when I've messed with it.  But I have sad news: in 2.6.11.4 (SuSE 9.3 stock
kernel), one of the drivers gets stuck during the suspend process.  And
when I have all the drivers loaded in 2.6.12, one of them has a problem
resuming, and hangs.  (It resumed OK with minimal drivers loaded.)  I'm
still trying to track down which one.

> Brown, Len wrote:
>
> > S3 is suspend to RAM (MS calls it standby, IIR)
> > S4 is suspend to disk (MS calls it hibernate)

Oops, I got the Sn numbers mixed up.  Sorry about that.

About obtaining SuSE 9.3: I feel it's worth it to have my own DVD, and to
support the "artists", but you could download the boot floppy images and
use those, assuming you have a floppy drive.  Then you do a network
install.  Be prepared for a loooong wait, since the mirror sites are always
busy.  I think on the Inspiron 6000 you're supposed to buy an inexpensive
USB floppy drive separately.  Alternatively, SuSE generally posts ISO
images for the CDs a month or so after the official release date, although
now that they're owned by Novell the policy may be different.

Currently I'm having "only" two problems with 9.3: the suspend issue, and
the Alps touchpad in my machine isn't recognized.  You have to configure it
as a generic mouse, protocol ExplorerPS/2.  At least it can click and
double-click by tapping.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 405 Hilgard Ave.; Los Angeles, CA, USA 90095-1555
Email: jimc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-laptop" in

[Index of Archives]     [Linux ACPI]     [Kernel Newbies]     [Security]     [Netfilter]     [Bugtraq]     [Yosemite News]     [MIPS Linux]     [ARM Linux]     [Linux Security]     [Linux RAID]     [Samba]