Re: [RFC 3/5] selftests: KVM: SEV IOCTL test

On 8/9/2024 10:45 AM, Sean Christopherson wrote:

>>> Maybe a block comment here indicating what you're actually doing would
>>> be good, because I'm a bit confused.
>>>
>>> A policy value of 0 is valid for SEV, so you expect each call to
>>> succeed, right? And, actually, for SEV-ES the launch start will succeed,
>>> too, but the launch update will fail because LAUNCH_UPDATE_VMSA is not
>>> valid for SEV, but then the launch measure should succeed. Is that
>>> right? What about the other calls?
>>>

>> Sure, I can do that.
>> Yes for SEV, the policy value of 0 succeeds for everything except when
>> we try to run and we see a KVM_EXIT_IO.
>>
>> For SEV-ES, with the policy value of 0 - we don't see launch_start
>> succeed. It fails with EIO in this case. Post that all the calls for
>> SEV-ES also fail subsequent to that. I guess the core idea behind this
>> test is to ensure that once the first bad case of launch_start fails, we
>> should see a cascading list of failures.

> Don't bury the result in a local boolean.  It's confusing, and _worse_ for debug
> as it makes it impossible to see what actually failed (the assert message will
> simply print "cond", which is useless).

Ack, I will make sure all the other occurrences of using similar boolean
are also removed and the conditions themselves are passed into the assert.

> This is a blatant lie, because the KVM_X86_SEV_VM case apparently expects success.
> Similar to Tom's comments about explaing what this code is doing, these assert
> messages need to explain what the actually expected result it, provide a hint as
> to _why_ that result is expected, and print the result.  As is, this will be
> unnecessarily difficult to debug if/when it fails.

Right. I'll make the error messages more reflective of what they are as
well as have an explanation to why we expect this behavior.

Thanks!
- Pratik