Re: Purpose of gen_tar

On 10/24/23 12:34, Bird, Tim wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Marcos Paulo de Souza
<mpdesouza@xxxxxxx>

Per the kselftests documentation[1], the gen_tar target is used to
package the tests to run "on different systems". But what if the
different system has different libraries/library versions? Wouldn't
it be a problem?

While the current approach can work when the selftests rely solely
on shell scripts(cpufreq, kexec), those who compile userspace
binaries (cgroup, alsa, sched, ...) may not work.

Am I missing something? Is gen_tar only meant to copy the tests to
be run on systems with the same libraries or with the libraries
with the exactly the same version?

gen_tar was originally intended (I believe) for developers doing
cross-compilation. The SDK used for cross-compilation of the
executables should handle issues such as library versions (and of
course, CPU architecture and endian-ness).

I've never done cross-compilation for the same architecture, so I
don't know how that would work, but I presume there is some way to
compile code for another system with the same architecture but
different libraries.

Right. gen_tar was intended to be used when a user wants to generate tar
archive of all the complied tests/installed tests. Running kselftest_install
creates a directory with artifacts necessary to execute tests.

This functionality is now part of the selftests Makefile - gen_tar target will
do the same.

thanks,
-- Shuah