Re: [RFC v2 net-next 1/2] rtnetlink: Add new RTM_GETSYNCESTATE message to get SyncE status

On Mon, 30 Aug 2021 13:57:58 -0700 Richard Cochran wrote:
> > Please take a look at the 10.2 Operation modes of the G.8264 and at the Figure A.1
> > which depicts the EEC. This interface is to report the status of the EEC.
>
> Well, I read it, and it is still fairly high level with no mention at
> all of "DPLL".  I hope that the new RTNL states will cover other
> possible EEC implementations, too.
>
> The "Reference source selection mechanism" is also quite vague.  Your
> patch is more specific:
>
> +enum if_eec_src {
> +       IF_EEC_SRC_INVALID = 0,
> +       IF_EEC_SRC_UNKNOWN,
> +       IF_EEC_SRC_SYNCE,
> +       IF_EEC_SRC_GNSS,

Hmm, IDK if this really belongs in RTNL. The OCP time card that
Jonathan works on also wants to report signal lock, and it locks
to GNSS. It doesn't have any networking functionality whatsoever.

Can we add a genetlink family for clock info/configuration? From
what I understood discussing this with Jonathan it sounded like most
clocks today have a vendor-specific character device for configuration
and reading status.

I'm happy to write the plumbing if this seems like an okay idea
but too much work for anyone to commit.