Re: kselftest: failed to build with -C tool/testing/selftests when KBUILD_OUTPUT is set

On 11/27/19 9:20 PM, Michael Ellerman wrote:
shuah <shuah@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
On 11/27/19 9:23 AM, Cristian Marussi wrote:
On 27/11/2019 16:04, shuah wrote:
On 27/11/2019 03:54, Michael Ellerman wrote:

It just hit my travis jobs when I merged up to master:

     https://travis-ci.org/linuxppc/linux/jobs/617482001

Shuah can we please get this reverted?

I will take care of this. Supporting all these use-cases has been
maintenance problem. Fixing one use-case breaks another. :(

If all of the above works with kselftest-install target, I would rather
ask for CI's to change, so we can get rid of make -C usage for install.

In which case, I would rather not revert this and request CIs to start
using kselftest-install target.

Okay reverted now and pushed it to linux-kselftest fixes. Will send it
to Linus in a couple of days.

I would like to see CI's use kselftest-* targets from the main makefile
for build/run/install.

The problem is old kernels (stable branches & distro kernels) don't
support that (or it doesn't work correctly).
> So then the CIs have to invoke the selftest build differently depending
on which kernel version they're building, which gets ugly for them.

Let's move there slowly as stables get retired. I would like to see
using kselftest main Makefile files as the supported mode going forward.
This is necessary for us to make it easier to support and maintain the
use-cases.

thanks,
-- Shuah