Re: kunit.py should default to --build_dir=.kunit

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 02:02:52PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> Shuah's solution was just to use CONFIG fragments in the meantime
> similar to what kselftest already does. I was leaning in that
> direction since kselftest already does that and we know that it works.
>
> Shuah, Luis, does this still match what you have been thinking?

I personally never use the selftest full config thing myself, however I
do use subcomponent selftests configs as hints to edit my .config to add
what I need and then run 'make menuconfig', in hopes that that leaves a
.config with all that is needed.

So indeed, I believe ethis works well for now, and it works for me.

I've hinted elsewhere that there is a difference between what kernel
features you have enabled Vs what components are needed / should we
built to test the current target kernel .config. And even then, what we
test in userspace is in my view different than what should be configured
in the kernel. To scale this I think a respective .config for userspace
and respective symbols for testing may be in order, this way the
userspace tests can only be visible say if you enabled certain features
in your kernel.  How this gets exposed, etc, is a separate question,
however I think this can be addressed later, and I believe Knut will
likely be dealing with it during the KTF merge to kunit work as
currently it addresses this via generic netlink, and we want something
simple to start off with.

   Luis