Re: Plan for hybrid testing

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 02:02:47PM -0700, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> Hey Knut and Shuah,
>
> Following up on our offline discussion on Wednesday night:
>
> We decided that it would make sense for Knut to try to implement Hybrid
> Testing (testing that crosses the kernel userspace boundary) that he
> introduced here[1] on top of the existing KUnit infrastructure.
>
> We discussed several possible things in the kernel that Knut could test
> with the new Hybrid Testing feature as an initial example. Those were
> (in reverse order of expected difficulty):
>
> 1. RDS (Reliable Datagram Sockets) - We decided that, although this was
>    one of the more complicated subsystems to work with, it was probably
>    the best candidate for Knut to start with because it was in desperate
>    need of better testing, much of the testing would require crossing
>    the kernel userspace boundary to be effective, and Knut has access to
>    RDS (since he works at Oracle).
>
> 2. KMOD - Probably much simpler than RDS, and the maintainer, Luis
>    Chamberlain (CC'ed) would like to see better testing here, but
>    probably still not as good as RDS because it is in less dire need of
>    testing, collaboration on this would be more difficult, and Luis is
>    currently on an extended vacation. Luis and I had already been
>    discussing testing KMOD here[2].

I'm back!

I'm also happy and thrilled to help review the infrastructure in great
detail given I have lofty future objectives with testing in the kernel.
Also, kmod is a bit more complex to test, if Knut wants a simpler *easy*
target I think test_sysctl.c would be a good target. I think the goal
there would be to add probes for a few of the sysctl callers, and then
test them through userspace somehow, for instance?

The complexities with testing kmod is the threading aspect. So that is
more of a challenge for a test infrastructure as a whole. However kmod
also already has a pretty sound kthread solution which could be used
as basis for any sound kernel multithread test solution.

Curious, what was decided with the regards to the generic netlink approach?

  Luis