Re: MODULE_DESCRIPTION() patches with no maintainer action

On 7/19/2024 3:51 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 14, 2024, at 23:46, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> Andrew & Greg,
>>
>> I hate to bother you with such mundane patches, but the following have been
>> posted for a while without any maintainer or reviewer comment or action, and
>> they have not yet landed in linux-next.
>>
>> What is the path forward to have these MODULE_DESCRIPTION() warnings fixed?
>>
>> arch/arm/probes/kprobes/
>> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240622-md-arm-arch-arm-probes-kprobes-v1-1-0832bd6e45db@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> arch/x86/mm/
>> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240515-testmmiotrace-md-v1-1-10919a8b2842@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> drivers/spmi/
>> https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240609-md-drivers-spmi-v1-1-f1d5b24e7a66@xxxxxxxxxxx/
>>
>> (note that beyond these 3 patches I still have an additional 13 patches which
>> need to land in order to fix these warnings tree-wide, but those 13 patches
>> have had recent maintainer or reviewer action so I'm not seeking your help at
>> this time).
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> For completeness, this is a patch that I have in my local
> test tree now after I addressed the build issues for all
> randconfig builds on arm, arm64 and x86.
>
> I assume you already a version of most of these,
> but please have a look in case there are some still
> missing.

You have found and fixed some that I didn't encounter with make allmodconfig
builds. I do have a list of ones for further analysis that I created by
looking for files with a MODULE_LICENSE but not a MODULE_DESCRIPTION, and the
ones I haven't yet fixed are on that list, but I'm very happy for you to
submit your fixes.

Details follow:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240711-md-arm-arch-arm-lib-v2-1-ab08653dc106@xxxxxxxxxxx/

>  arch/x86/mm/testmmiotrace.c                     | 1 +
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240515-testmmiotrace-md-v1-1-10919a8b2842@xxxxxxxxxxx/

>  drivers/fpga/tests/fpga-bridge-test.c           | 1 +
>  drivers/fpga/tests/fpga-mgr-test.c              | 1 +
>  drivers/fpga/tests/fpga-region-test.c           | 1 +
I do not have a patch for these three

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240605-md-drivers-fsi-v1-1-fefc82d81b12@xxxxxxxxxxx/

>  drivers/xen/xenbus/xenbus_probe_frontend.c      | 1 +
I do not have a patch for this one

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240523-md-adfs-v1-1-364268e38370@xxxxxxxxxxx/

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240528-md-test-ww_mutex-v2-1-a2a19e920b12@xxxxxxxxxxx/

>  lib/asn1_decoder.c                              | 1 +
>  lib/slub_kunit.c                                | 1 +
>  lib/ucs2_string.c                               | 1 +
>  lib/zlib_inflate/inflate_syms.c                 | 1 +
I do not have a patch for these four

>  mm/kasan/kasan_test.c                           | 1 +
>  mm/kasan/kasan_test_module.c                    | 1 +
I do not have a patch for these two

>  samples/livepatch/livepatch-callbacks-busymod.c | 1 +
>  samples/livepatch/livepatch-callbacks-demo.c    | 1 +
>  samples/livepatch/livepatch-callbacks-mod.c     | 1 +
>  samples/livepatch/livepatch-sample.c            | 1 +
>  samples/livepatch/livepatch-shadow-fix1.c       | 1 +
>  samples/livepatch/livepatch-shadow-fix2.c       | 1 +
I do not have a patch for these six

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240529-md-apparmor_policy_unpack_test-v1-1-9efc582078c4@xxxxxxxxxxx/