Re: KTODO automated TODO lists

On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 17:38:15 -0600
"Gustavo A. R. Silva" <gustavo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/18/23 22:11, Dan Carpenter wrote:
> > Yesterday someone on my lists just sent an email looking for kernel
> > tasks.  This was a university student in a kernel programming class.
> > We also have kernel-janitors and outreachy and those people are always
> > asking for small tasks.
>
> We have tons of issues waiting to be audited and fixed here:
>
> https://scan.coverity.com/projects/linux-next-weekly-scan
>
> You will never run out of fun. :) People just need to sign up.
>
> That's really a great way to learn and gain experience across the whole
> kernel tree.

The difference between this and the KTODO is that the above is bugs that a
bot has discovered, right?

Although I agree that fixing bugs is a great way to learn the kernel, in
some cases people want to create a feature. At least that's a bit more
rewarding.

Currently, while working on adding a feature to the tracing ring buffer,
I've come across several bugs (that I fixed), but also a list of "nice to
haves".

That is, small feature enhancements that make the system better, that I
simply do not have the time to implement. This is where I think KTODO is
useful. If someone wants to add these enhancements, I'd be happy to help
them out (sparingly).

-- Steve